The examiner has to provide a motivation for the final grade, for example by providing the signed and highlighted rubric. The rubric for the Literature Review can be found here and the Research Proposal rubric here28.75 KB. This motivation should be sent to the Master's Administration Office together with your assessment form.
All written products (essays, reports and writing assignments) will be checked for plagiarism via Urkund*.
The printed report (summary) from Urkund should be handed in together with your assessment form.
Upload the final version of your report without your reference list to Urkund. You can do this yourself (as student in two different ways, or your Examiner can upload your report.
Important: Upload it as a Word file and not as a pdf.
Upload as student
As a student you can upload the file to the receiver address, by simply emailing from your student email address to the URKUND analysis address.
This analysis address is Initials.Lastname.firstname.lastname@example.org; for instance John Anne Doe: J.A.Doe.email@example.com (N.B. this is an non existing example). Your examiner can find the address when they log in to Urkund.
You as student will get a message from firstname.lastname@example.org with as topic [URKUND] Confirmation of receipt. Your examiner will receive a message from the same email address with the topic [URKUND] [amount]% similarity, and the information who send in the file.; and a link to open the analysis.
Please use your student email address when you hand in a report.
You can also upload a file to the ‘webinbox’ of URKUND. You can login here, and click at the right-top to upload document. Use the analysis address of the teacher (see above), and click on submit.
Upload by teacher/Examiner
Teachers/Examiners can also upload the file themselves. They should go here, select Utrecht University, and log in to URKUND with their solisID and 2FA factor authentication. Once there, they can upload the file and view the analysis report after a couple of minutes.
For UMCU examiners there is a temporary workaround to log in to Urkund. The instructions can be found here. If your supervisor does not have a SolisID or has questions about URKUND, (s)he can contact Pieter Jan van der Schoot (for UMCU examiners) or the Science Keyuser Plagiaat of the Faculty of Science (UU examiners).
What if plagiarism is > 10%
If the percentage of plagiarism found by Ephorus is > 10% your examiner should write an explanation why this high percentage is not due to plagiarism. This explanation and the Ephorus summary should be handed in together with your assessment form.
*New plagiarism softaware, Urkund, is now live. Ephorus has stopped being supported from October 1st. More information on how to use it can be found here: https://urkund.sites.uu.nl/en/.
If you are a student from CSDB, you can finalize your writing assignment in Osiris Zaak.
Assessment form and Registration grades
The grade of your writing assignment has to be registered on the assessment form (open with Adobe Reader). This form is available on the documents page of this study guide. In order to get the grades of your research project registered in Osiris, you and your examiner need to follow these instructions:
- You download the assessment form from the Study Guide (open with Adobe Reader).
- Your examiner fills out his/her own grade and signs the assessment form, after ensuring the grade of the second reviewer or host institute supervisor are correct.
- Your examiner saves the form and sends the form including the motivation for the grade and (Urkund) plagiarism check to the Master’s administration office and Master’s programme coordinator. You can ask to be in CC as well. Epidemiology students must hand in the assessment form at the education office of Epidemiology (MSc-Epidemiology@umcutrecht.nl).
- You hand in a digital copy (PDF) of your report at the Master’s administration office. This report should include a Dutch or English layman's summary (in Dutch or English, 500 words, high school Biology level). Please note: the title of your report is literally copied to your international diploma supplement, so be aware of the correct use of capitals in the title. Epidemiology students must also hand in the final report including layman’s summary at the education office of Epidemiology (MSc-Epidemiology@umcutrecht.nl).
- As soon as the Master's administration has received both the assessment and the PDF of your WA, the result will be registered in Osiris.
- Fill out the evaluation form by using the links found in the Assessment form or in the email you will receive separately.
The Graduate School of Life Sciences feels it is very important you share your experiences with your programme coordinator and therefore urge you to visit your programme coordinator after you finished your project or writing assignment. Depending on you Master’s programme you might receive specific instructions from your programme coordinator about this.
Stick to the agreed end date and maximal duration of your project. The study load of the writing assignment is 7.5 EC, which corresponds to five weeks of full-time study. More information about the duration of the writing assignment can be found here. After your end date your examiner and second reviewer have 10 working days to grade your writing assignment.
In case of confidentiality the following procedure applies:
- Your examiner (Utrecht supervisor) should be allowed to have access to your writing assignment at all times. The Board of Examiners should be allowed to have access to your writing assignment upon request. Third parties concerned with the evaluation and accreditation of the Master's Degrees should also be allowed to access your writing assignment on request.
- Instead of a PDF of the writing assignment, you can hand in one A4 with the following information: Title of your writing assignment; your name, student number and Master's programme; name, email addresses and affiliations (e.g. function and company or research group / institute) of your examiner and daily supervisor / supervisor host institute; a short summary of the content (e.g. laymen's summary) and a remark regarding confidentiality. Your examiner either has to sign the document or confirm via email to the Master's administration that this is indeed a case of confidentiality.
- The writing assignment should be checked via the plagiarism checker Urkund. When the report is checked ‘under embargo’ the information in the report will not be stored in the Urkund database. The option to upload a file 'under embargo' (vertrouwelijke controle, in Dutch) is only available when your examiner (supervisor) uploads the file to Urkund and exempts the file from the database.