The examiner has to provide a motivation for the final grade, for example by providing the signed and highlighted rubric. This motivation should be handed in together with your assessment form. This rubric is suitable for literature reviews. In the future we also hope to provide a rubric for research proposals.
All written products (essays, reports and writing assignments) will be checked for plagiarism via Ephorus.
Upload the final version of your writing assignment without your reference list to Ephorus. Please note: Ephorus will ask for a ‘code’, this is the e-mail address that is related to the account of your examiner, normally his/ her work email address. If your supervisor does not have an account, (s)he can contact Pieter Jan van der Schoot (for UMCU examiners) or the contactperson of his/her faculty (for UU examiners). The printed report (summary) from Ephorus should be handed in together with your assessment form.
What if plagiarism is > 10%
If the percentage of plagiarism found by Ephorus is > 10% your examiner should write an explanation why this high percentage is not due to plagiarism. This explanation and the Ephorus summary should be handed in together with your assessment form.
If you are a student from CSDB, you can finalize your writing assignment in Osiris Zaak.
Assessment form and Registration grades
The grade of your writing assignment has to be registered on the assessment form. This form is available on the documents page of this study guide. In order to get the grades of your research project registered in Osiris, you and your examiner need to follow these instructions:
- You download the assessment form from the Study Guide.
- Your examiner fills out his/her own grade and signs the assessment form, after ensuring the grade of the second reviewer or host institute supervisor are correct.
- Your examiner saves the form and sends the form including the motivation for the grade and (Ephorus) plagiarism check to the Master’s administration office and Master’s programme coordinator. You can ask to be in CC as well.
- You hand in a digital copy (PDF) of your report at the Master’s administration office. This report should include a Dutch or English layman's summary (in Dutch or English, 500 words, high school Biology level). Please note: the title of your report is literally copied to your international diploma supplement, so be aware of the correct use of capitals in the title.
- As soon as the Master's administration has received both the assessment and the PDF of your WA, the result will be registered in Osiris.
- You fill out the evaluation form that is send to you by e-mail.
The Graduate School of Life Sciences feels it is very important you share your experiences with your programme coordinator and therefore urge you to visit your programme coordinator after you finished your project or writing assignment. Depending on you Master’s programme you might receive specific instructions from your programme coordinator about this.
Stick to the agreed end date and maximal duration of your project. The study load of the writing assignment is 7.5 EC, which corresponds to five weeks of full-time study. More information about the duration of the writing assignment can be found here. After your end date your examiner and second reviewer have 10 working days to grade your writing assignment.
In case of confidentiality the following procedure applies:
- Your examiner (Utrecht supervisor) should be allowed to have access to your writing assignment at all times. The Board of Examiners should be allowed to have access to your writing assignment upon request. Third parties concerned with the evaluation and accreditation of the Master's Degrees should also be allowed to access your writing assignment on request.
- Instead of a PDF of the writing assignment, you can hand in one A4 with the following information: Title of your writing assignment; your name, student number and Master's programme; name, email addresses and affiliations (e.g. function and company or research group / institute) of your examiner and daily supervisor / supervisor host institute; a short summary of the content (e.g. laymen's summary) and a remark regarding confidentiality. Your examiner either has to sign the document or confirm via email to the Master's administration that this is indeed a case of confidentiality.
- The writing assignment should be checked via the plagiarism checker Ephorus. When the report is checked ‘under embargo’ the information in the report will not be stored in the Ephorus database. The option to upload a file 'under embargo' (vertrouwelijke controle, in Dutch) is only available when your examiner (supervisor) uploads the file to Ephorus.