You may choose to take summer courses as part of your electives. You need prior approval of the Board of Examiners for all summer courses (except summer courses that are part of the GSLS).
Please note: fees for summer school courses are at your own expense.
A summer school course should meet the following requirements:
- The course is Master's level;
- The course is offered by a renowned university (Dutch or foreign);
- The course has an individual assessment;
- If there is no individual assessment, you need to find an Utrecht examiner to do the individual assessment (e.g. as an oral exam);
- Approval of your programme coordinator is required in all cases.
You need to send an email to the Board of Examiners, including:
- Which summer school course you want to take;
- The course description (or a link to the website), including information about the assessment;
- A link to the website where the credit system of the university is described;
- Written approval of your Utrecht examiner in case of an oral exam;
- Written approval of your programme coordinator.
You need to send your request at least two months before start of the summer course. The Board of Examiners will decide within six weeks whether the summer course may be part of your Master’s programme and the number of credits that will be awarded.
On the basis of a certificate or official document provided by the university that offers the summer course, the Board of Examiners will register your course results. The documentation needs to be sent to the Board of Examiners.
The course result will be registered in Osiris. In case of a summer school course at a foreign university, the grade will be converted by the Board of Examiners into the alphanumerical results Pass/Fail (see also here).