The Life Sciences Academy (BMB509718, GSLS-ACAD) is a compulsory 3-part module of 1.5 credits in total. This module is a combination of courses, workshops and seminars, designed to cover all aspects of academic education and to acquaint students with a wide range of life sciences-related topics. Moreover, special focus is put on giving students a comprehensive overview of the different choices they can make, both in terms of study components and personal development opportunities, but also to prepare them for their upcoming entry into the job market.
The Life Sciences Academy consists of:
- Part A: Introducing Life Sciences
- Part B: Navigation Towards Personal Excellence
- Part C: Life Sciences Seminars
Credits for this module are obtained when all requirements for part A, B and C have been met.
The Life Sciences Academy began in September 2018. Students who started their Master’s before this date, are enrolled in the individual courses:
- Introducing Life Sciences (BMB509713)
- Life Sciences seminars (BMB509214 or GSLS-SEMIN).
For questions, you can contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
At the end of the Life Sciences Academy course, the student:
Part A: Introducing Life Sciences
- is familiar with the organisation of the Graduate School of Life Sciences;
- is capable of consciously choosing between all options offered by the Graduate School (projects, profiles, courses and electives);
- has knowledge about professional attitude, personal development and scientific integrity;
- has a detailed view on his/her future as MSc;
- is introduced into the Utrecht Life Science community;
- has made a flying start in building his/her Life Sciences network.
Part B: Navigation towards Personal Excellence (NTPE)
- is able to reflect on his/her own development and study career
- is able to reflect on his/her current qualities and skills, and gain insight in those that need further development during your MSc.
- is able to study craft (make right choices for your future resume)
- is able to prepare his/her career perspectives and career path / envision your future
Part C: Life Science Seminars
- gets acquainted with recent scientific developments in the field of Life Sciences other than their own MSc Programme;
- is familiar with the multi-disciplinary field of life sciences and network with peers
- has an interdisciplinary scientific view;
- is able to write a self-reflection about scientific seminars, ethics, and soft skills that contribute to your personal study and career success