You may choose to take an online course as part of your electives. You need prior approval of the Board of Examiners for online courses outside the Graduate School of Life Sciences (GSLS). For courses offered by the GSLS no approval from the Board of Examiners is required.
Please note: fee for online courses are at your own expense.
An online course should meet the following requirements:
- The course is Master's level;
- The course is offered by a renowned university (Dutch or abroad);
- The online course has an individual assessment;
- In case of assessment in the form of an online exam, physical surveillance of a examiner from UU/UMC or an external institute (for example supervisor host institute) or is required; NB. during the corona-measures, physical surveillance is not required.
- If there is no individual assessment, you need to find an Utrecht examiner to do the individual assessment (e.g. as an oral exam);
- Approval of your programme coordinator is required in all cases.
You need to send an email to the Board of Examiners, including:
- Which online courses you want to take;
- The course description (or a link to the website), including information about the assessment;
- A link to the website where the credit system of the university is described;
- A statement of the examiner/supervisor/proctor that (s)he takes responsibility for the surveillance in case of an online exam;
- Written approval of your Utrecht examiner in case of an oral exam;
- Written approval of your programme coordinator.
You need to send your request at least two months before start of the online course. The Board of Examiners will decide within six weeks whether the foreign courses may be part of your Master’s programme and the number of credits that will be awarded.*
*The Board of Examiners recognizes the extraordinary circumstances students are faced with due to the Corona crisis. As such, requests for online courses during these times will be processed as quickly as possible. This highly depends on the information that you provide with your request, so please make sure that it is complete and accurate.
On the basis of a certificate or official document provided by the university that offers the online course, the Board of Examiners will register your course results. The documentation needs to be sent to the Board of Examiners.
The course result will be converted by the Board of Examiners into the alphanumerical results Pass/Fail and registered in Osiris.