You may choose to take an online course as part of your electives. You need prior approval of the Board of Examiners for online courses outside the Graduate School of Life Sciences (GSLS). For courses offered by the GSLS no approval from the Board of Examiners is required.
Please note: fee for online courses are at your own expense.
An online course should meet the following requirements:
- The course is Master's level;
- The course is offered by a renowned university (Dutch or abroad);
- There needs to be individual assessment by an examiner;
- When the online course is not offered by a renowned university (e.g. edX or coursera) and/or there is no individual assessment, you need to find an Utrecht examiner for individual assessment (e.g. as an oral exam);
- Approval of your programme coordinator is required in all cases.
You need to send a request by email to the Board of Examiners, including:
- Which online courses you want to take;
- The course description (or a link to the website), including information about the assessment;
- A link to the website where the credit system of the university is described;
- If applicable: a statement of the Utrecht examiner that (s)he takes responsibility for the individual exam, and in which form the exam will take place;
- Written approval of your programme coordinator.
You need to send your request at least two months before start of the online course. The Board of Examiners will decide within six weeks whether the foreign courses may be part of your Master’s programme and the number of credits that will be awarded.
On the basis of a certificate or official document provided by the university that offers the online course (or in case of an individual exam: a statement of your Utrecht examiner), the Board of Examiners will register your course results. The documentation needs to be sent to the Board of Examiners.