For the final assessment of your writing assignment the Rubric for writing assignment can be used to discuss your strong points and points of improvement. This rubric is suitable for literature reviews. In the future we also hope to provide a rubric for research proposals.
The examiner has to provide a motivation for the final grade, for example by providing the signed and highlighted rubric. Hand in this rubric together with your assessment form.
All written products (essays, reports and writing assignments) will be checked for plagiarism via Ephorus.
Upload the final version of your report to Ephorus. Please note: Ephorus will ask for a ‘code’, this is the e-mail address that is related to the account of your examiner, normally his/ her work email address. If your supervisor does not have an account, (s)he can contact Pieter Jan van der Schoot (for UMCU examiners) or the contactperson of his/her faculty (for UU examiners). The printed report (summary) from Ephorus should be added to your Assessment Form.
What if plagiarism is > 10%
If the percentage of plagiarism found by Ephorus is > 10% your examiner should write an explanation why this high percentage is not due to plagiarism. Hand in this explanation together with the report from Ephorus when handing in your assessment form.
When you have finished your writing assignment you have to register your result using the Assessment Form. This form is only available on paper and should be taken from the student administration for students from the Faculty of Science or from the Student Information Point (STIP) for students Biomedical Sciences.
The study load of the writing assignment is 7.5 EC, which corresponds to five weeks of full-time study. The writing assignment should be completed within three months, from the first meeting with the supervisor to discuss the assignment to submission of the assignment. This period can only be extended in exceptional cases, in which case it is the student’s responsibility to obtain written approval from the Board of Examiners for a limited, pre-determined, extension period.
In case of confidentiality the following procedure applies:
- The examiner (Utrecht supervisor) should be allowed to have access to the writing assignment of the student at all times. The Board of Examiners should be allowed to have access to the students report upon request.
- Instead of the PDF of the final version of the writing assignment, the student can hand in one A4 with the following information: Title of the project; student name, number and Master's programme; name, email addresses and affiliations (e.g. function and company or research group / institute) of the examiner and daily supervisor / supervisor host institute; a short summary of the project and a remark regarding secrecy. Have your examiner either sign the document or confirm via email to the Master's administration that this is indeed a case of confidentiality.
- The final version of the writing assignment should be checked via the plagiarism checker Ephorus. When the report is checked ‘under embargo’ the information in the report will not be stored in the Ephorus database. The option to upload a file 'under embargo' (vertrouwelijke controle, in Dutch) is only available when your examiner (supervisor) uploads the file to Ephorus.
Before handing in the Assessment Form at the Master’s Administration Office you have to:
- Upload the final version of your writing assignment to Ephorus. Please note: Ephorus will ask for a ‘code’, this is the e-mail address that is related to the account of your examiner, normally his/ her work email address. If your supervisor does not have an account, please contact the contact Pieter Jan van der Schoot (for UMCU examiners) or the contactperson of his/her faculty (for UU examiners). The printed assessment report (summary) from Ephorus should be added to your Assessment Form.
- If the percentage of plagiarism found by Ephorus is > 10% your examiner should include an written explanation of this high percentage.
- A motivation for your grade (for all grades, not just if your final grade is ≤ 6 or ≥ 8.5) from your examiner should be added to your assessment form. Your examiner can use the Rubric to motivate the grade. (S)he can either add a signed, printed motivation to the assessment form or send this motivation to the Administration Office via email.
Assessment Forms without the Ephorus report, a digital copy of your writing assignment and -if necessary- a motivation written by your examiner will not be accepted or registered.
Grades are registered in OSIRIS, which is an online system for student administration and study progress. The system contains your personal information, your timetable and an overview of all your grades. Please check these for correctness.