All three elements (research skills, the written report and the final presentation) have to be awarded with at least a 5.5 in order to pass the final examination of the research project.
Your examiner has to provide a motivation for the final grades, for example by using the rubrics below. This motivation has to be signed and handed in together with the assessment form.
Rubrics for business internships can be found here.
All written products (essays, reports and writing assignments) will be checked for plagiarism via Ephorus.
Upload the final version of your report to Ephorus. Please note: Ephorus will ask for a ‘code’, this is the email address that is related to the account of your examiner, normally his/her work email address. If your supervisor does not have an account, (s)he can contact Pieter Jan van der Schoot (for UMCU examiners) or Hans Goedemans (Faculty of Science UU examiners). The printed report (summary) from Ephorus should be handed in together with your assessment form.
What if plagiarism is > 10%
If the percentage of plagiarism found by Ephorus is > 10% your examiner should write an explanation why this high percentage is not due to plagiarism. This explanation and the Ephorus summary should be handed in together with your assessment form.
The final grades for your research skills, report and presentation have to be registered on the assessment form. This form is only available on paper at:
- Science student administration office for students from the Faculty of Science
- Student Information Point (STIP) for students from Biomedical Sciences.
In order to get the grades of your research project registered in Osiris, you and your examiner need to follow these instructions:
- You pick up the assessment form, evaluation form and return envelope at the administration office.
- Your examiner fills out his/her own grade and signs the assessment form, after ensuring the grades of the second reviewer or host institute supervisor are correct.
- Your examiner scans the form and sends the form including the motivation for the grade and (Ephorus) plagiarism check to the Master’s administration office and Master’s programme coordinator. You can ask to be in CC as well.
- You fill out the evaluation form and send it to the Master’s administration via the return envelope.
- You hand in a digital copy (pdf) of your report at the Master’s administration office. This report should include a Dutch or English layman's summary (in Dutch or English, 500 words, high school Biology level).
The Graduate School of Life Sciences feels it is very important you share your experiences with your programme coordinator and therefore urge you to visit your programme coordinator after you finished your project or writing assignment. Depending on you Master’s programme you might receive specific instructions from your programme coordinator about this.
Stick to the agreed end date and maximal duration of your project. More information about research project duration, extension and delay is available here. After you handed in your report and gave your presentation, your examiner and second reviewer (of supervisor host institute) have 10 working days for the assessment.
In case of confidentiality the following procedure applies:
- Your examiner (Utrecht supervisor) should be allowed to have access to your report at all times. In addition, you should be able to give your final presentation at the research group of the examiner. The Board of Examiners should be allowed to have access to your report upon request.
- Instead of a PDF of the final report, you can hand in one A4 with the following information: Title of your project; your name, student number and Master's programme; name, email addresses and affiliations (e.g. function and company or research group / institute) of your examiner and daily supervisor / supervisor host institute; a short summary of the project and a remark regarding confidentiality. Your examiner either has to sign the document or confirm via email to the Master's administration that this is indeed a case of confidentiality.
- The final report should be checked via the plagiarism checker Ephorus. When the report is checked ‘under embargo’ the information in the report will not be stored in the Ephorus database. The option to upload a file 'under embargo' (vertrouwelijke controle, in Dutch) is only available when your examiner (supervisor) uploads the file to Ephorus.