External projects / going abroad

Register internship abroad in Osiris
Students who want to go abroad for a (research) internship always have to register via Osiris. This is also the case for students going abroad for an exchange semester.

How to: In Osiris students can find the ‘Stay abroad’ menu. In this menu they can go to 'New Request' and then make a selection for 'Internship/ (field) research/other stay abroad'.

It is important that students do this, because:

  • After approval from the International Office, they can request an Erasmus grant within Europe, if applicable.
  • International Office checks applications for public transportation compensation (OV-vergoeding) by means of this application.
  • In case of emergency, natural catastrophes or terroristic attacks, the UU can check the students’ location and contact them if necessary. (The primary contact for calamities will remain the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the relevant Embassy, but the UU is of the opinion that it also has a duty of care in these cases.)
  • The Visa mobility regulations have changed since last year. The UU has to report Non-EU students to whom the outgoing mobility applies to IND (Immigration & Naturalisation Service) at least thirty days before their departure. IND has indicated that they will maintain this measure, which means that the UU is prone to substantial fines and could even lose its recognition as a referent if we don’t follow these protocols. The visa desk even uses this as a basis for selection, that is, if the data in Osiris are correct.

Share your experience
Just returned from a research project abroad? Please share your experiences and advice on practical matters with other GSLS students via our Blackboard community 'GSLS Research Abroad'. Answer the questions about your experiences on this form and send it to international.office@umcutrecht.nl.

If you are considering studying or doing a research project abroad, you can consult the international officers. They have information on grants, visas, scholarships, administrative affairs, etc. Before contacting them, read the information in the GSLS checklist Going Abroad.

Programmes of Biomedical Sciences

  • Contact Annemoon Bregt or Carolien Bakker, for the programmes of  Biofabrication, Biology of Disease, Cancer Stem Cells & Developmental Biology, Epidemiology, Epidemiology Postgraduate, Infection & Immunity, Medical Imaging, Neuroscience & Cognition, One Health, Regenerative Medicine & Technology and Toxicology & Environmental Health. Please visit the website of the International Office of the faculty of Medicine for more information.

Programmes of the Science Faculty

The GSLS encourages you to broaden your horizon. It is your own responsibility to realise this ambition, since there are no ready-made projects. Suitable places for a research projects outside Utrecht can be found via the internet, via UU or UMCU staff members, or via your programme coordinator. There is also information available from finished projects abroad via our Blackboard community 'GSLS Research Abroad'.

Always consult your programme coordinator. He or she can advise you about which institutes or companies are suitable for your research project.

If you would like to do a research project abroad, we strongly advise you to start nine to eleven months advance, since there are many things that have to be arranged before you leave. 

Like all projects, external projects require an examiner from the UU/UMCU and the approval from the Board of Examiners. Your examiner and supervisor host institute both need to sign the General application form* and the Internship contract.

Besides approval from the Board of Examiners many things need to be arranged. Start by reading the GSLS Checklist Going Abroad for an overview of all aspects you should think of while organising your research project abroad.

*Note: students from the master's programme CSDB and SBM participate in a pilot of which the entire procedure is digitized. More information can be found here.

If you are considering an Erasmus+ scholarship (for projects within Europe), your application request in Osiris Student should be completed at least three months before the deadline. For more information on the Erasmus+ scholarship, please visit the Erasmus+ website.

To finance (part of) your study abroad some financial support is available. You are responsible for arranging your own grant(s). Make sure you apply for a grant at least six months in advance. To obtain a scholarship you often need to get permission from the student dean (also called student counsellor) after first obtaining approval from the Board of Examiners.

Information on scholarships can be found at the general UU website, the website of the International Office of the Science faculty and the website of the International Office of the Medicine Faculty. Deadlines for the different scholarships are also posted on the Facebook page of the International Office of the Medicine Faculty.

More information can also be found on: