The U/Select programme
U/Select (Utrecht Selective Life Sciences ExtraCurricular Track) is the life sciences honours programme for selected students of the GSLS. It is a 2-year extracurricular programme, for excellent students who seek to broaden their horizon and want to get more out of their Master's programme.
The goals of U/Select are:
- To broaden and deepen your study programme in extra and special learning experiences.
- To be part of a community of excellent students in life sciences.
- To be able to write a research proposal and execute this during your minor research abroad.
- To have a better start position for your next step in your (study) career.
- To build your network beyond your own Master's programme.
For more information you can contact Kirsten Boersma-van Nierop, MSc.
The 2-year programme consists of:
- Kick-off meeting (February - year 1)
- During this meeting in the "Academiegebouw", you will meet eachother and be informed about the U/Select programme.
- Master classes (year 1)
- In the first year, the students will organize monthly master classes (decide on the topics, invite speakers, etc.). Examples are: career planning, going abroad, publishing, and science&society. The students will do this in consultation with the U/Select coordinator, prof. Peter Burbach.
- Research proposal and research project abroad (year 1&2)
- You will choose a topic within the scope of life sciences, and a top institute abroad. You will write your own research proposal, in collaboration with your supervisor abroad. If your research proposal is approved by your Utrecht examiner and the U/Select coordinator, you receive a €2500 travel grant to execute your research proposal.
- Mini-symposium (September - year 2)
- You will report on your work during a mini-symposium in the "Introducing Life Sciences" course for 1st-year Master's students. The jury, consisting of leading scientists of Utrecht University, will choose the best research project and reward it with €1500.
Students will be selected on the following criteria:
- motivation and ambition of the student;
- results obtained in your BSc programme (a GPA of 3,5 or higher is required);
- extracurricular activities.
To apply, send in the following documents:
- Letter of motivation, including a description of your BSc or MSc (research) project;
- Curriculum vitae;
- Proof of your qualities - grade list or transcript of BSc degree (BSc grades calculated as GPA), jobs, experience abroad etc.;
- Letter of recommendation from your (research) project supervisor or your MSc programme coordinator.
to Kirsten Boersma-van Nierop, MSc. Deadline December 1st, 2016, 9:00 hrs. If you do not receive a confirmation email of your application, your application has not been taken into consideration.
A selection committee will judge all applications and select the U/Select participants. You may be invited for an interview with this committee. About 10-12 participants each year are allowed to enter the programme.
The following students participate in U/Select 2017 are:
- Laura Boeschoten - Environmental Biology
- Tom Caniels - Infection and Immunity
- Mandy Erkelens - Molecular and Cellular Life Sciences
- Noor Godijk - Epidemiology
- Erik Hebels - Drug Innovation
- Thao Lam - Toxicology and Environmental Health
- Renier van Neer - Drug Innovation
- Julie Oomens - Neuroscience and Cognition
- Tom Roth - Environmental Biology
- Marleen van Smoorenburg - Infection and Immunity
- Anton Venhuizen - Molecular and Cellular Life Sciences
- Esther van Woudenbergh - Infection and Immunity
The following students participate in U/Select 2016 (from left to right, top to bottom):
- Franka Rang (CSDB)
- Florianne Hafkamp (IMIF)
- Nigel Pearson (MCLS)
- Pieter Lindenbergh (CSDB)
- Mariska Simpson (MCLS)
- Kyra Defourny (IMIF)
- Eline Brombacher (CSDB)
- Paula Cevaal (IMIF)
- Annelisa Cornel (BIDM)
- Elena Meléndez (CSDB)
- Valeria Bonapersona (NSCN)
- Gittan Blezer (IMIF) (not in picture)
The following students participate in U/Select 2015 (from left to right, top to bottom):
- Ariën Schiepers (IMIF)
- Sanne Boersma (CSDB)
- Adinda Kok (MCLS)
- Hester van Dorst (CSDB)
- Annemiek van Berkel (NSCN-ECN)
- Mohammad Ayoub (CSDB)
- Marlies Ludikhuize (CSDB)
- Michaela Diakatou (RMT)
- Jooske Monster (MCLS)
- Marjon van Ruiten (CSDB)
- Marjolein Versteeg (NSCN-ECN)
- Julian Vosseberg (CSDB)
- Dennis Vink (ENVB; not in picture)
The following students participate in U/Select 2014 (from left to right):
- Kitty Hendriks (MCLS)
- Rutger ter Horst (CSDB)
- Anne Slomp (IMIF)
- Robin van der Weide (CSDB)
- Nora Assendorp (NSCN-ECN)
- Jan van der Beek (MCLS)
- Lara Rösler (NSCN-CN)
- Lara Nellissen (NSCN-ECN)
- Karin Zwiep (PLBI)
- Kaya von Eugen (PLBI)
- Henry Kurniawan (DINN)
- Amos Fumagalli (TXEH; not in picture)
The following students participate in U/Select 2013 (from left to right):
- Ino Karemaker (CGDB)
- Colinda Scheele (CGDB)
- Febe van der Flier (NSCN-CN)
- Heleen van ’t Spijker (NSCN-ECN)
- Hilje Doekes (MCLS)
- David Vargaz-Diaz (MCLS)
- Suzanne Miedema (NSCN-ECN)
- Anne van der Leun (CGDB)
- Mirjam van der Lee (NSCN-ECN)
- Marthe Lindenbergh (IMIF)
- Elise Kessler (BIDM)